Executive Chef, Pescatore
Rafael Mayoral was born in Mexico City and emigrated to North America 23 years ago. He embarked on his culinary career and became a professional chef at Star's Restaurant under Chef Mark Franz. After quickly developing a passion for cooking, Rafael eventually moved to work in different restaurants around San Francisco including Harry's Restaurant, Spuntino's, Milano's Italian Kitchen and Prego Restaurant. In 1992, he returned back to Mexico to assist at the Centro Universitario de Artes Culinarias.
"Raffa," as he is fondly called by his staff, found himself back in the city by the bay in 1993 and joined Pescatore under the supervision of Chef Chris Shepherd. Meanwhile he was also working at other Kimpton proprieties such as Scala's Bistro and Puccinni & Pinetti under the wing of Chef Daniel Scherotter. Raffa shaped and improved his skills and got the chance to become the Sous Chef at Pescatore in 1999. After a year he showed the passion and dedication needed and was promoted to Executive Chef
Raffa has a great work ethic and he leads his staff by example. He shows his ability to be creative with rustic Italian cuisine while using the freshest local ingredients. He looks forward to further personal and professional growth within the Kimpton Group.
- Q: Who is your culinary mentor?
- A: Mark Franz and Daniel Scherotter
- Q: What do you usually cook yourself for breakfast?
- A: I love fried beans with chorizo, fried eggs, green tomatillo salsa and handmade tortilla.
- Q: What is your favorite ingredient to cook with?
- A: I couldn't live without garlic.
- Q: Who would you most like to cook for?
- A: Anthony Bourdain.
- Q: What is your favorite part of your work day?
- A: When I cook on the line I love to be surrounded by flames and great food.
- Q: What is your favorite cookbook?
- A: No Reservation: Around the World on an Empty Stomach.
- Q: Any other facts you'd like to share?
- A: I think having a family is the foundation of stability in this business, and I'm happy to have a family of three beautiful women--my wife and two daughters.
More from Chef Raffa
Want a little taste of Tuscany at home? Try Chef Raffa's Spaghetti Bolognese.
Pescatore | 2455 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA 94133 | Phone: (415) 561-1111 | www.cafepescatore.com